Thursday, September 07, 2006

Disappointment at stair lift buy-back

This stair lift article appeared in Newcastle's Sunday Sun.

How's your maths? Peter Heslop bought a stair lift for £1250 on the understanding he could sell it back when it was no longer needed.

Seven months later he moved to a bungalow and was offered - wait for it - the princely sum of £60.

No wonder Peter, of Spennymoor, County Durham, felt the need for some sabre rattling.
He said: "The company told me they had a buy- back policy, depending on the length of time I had the equipment. I expected more than £60 but accepted it as I had to be out of the house quickly."


I wondered how Peter Brown, of Sabre Stairlift Systems, Keighley, West Yorkshire, could justify his figures. He said: "The reason we offer a relatively small amount is we sell reconditioned machines for only £999. We have to remove the machine, renovate it, advertise it, and reinstall it."